We are sure that you all must have noticed that bowl of pink pearl-like onions lying on the table of any north Indian restaurant. These onions are paired with almost all north Indian dishes, be it tandoori chicken tikka or chhole bhature, and known to double the taste of the dishes. The mere sight of these onions takes me back to my childhood and brings a smile on my face. It was the time when we used to dine out at a restaurant, out of all the dishes, these little ruby-coloured pickled onions, or sirke wali pyaz, used to catch my attention the most. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that this little accompanier has a special place in our hearts. There is no denying the fact that sirke wali pyaz has acquired a special place on our dining tables. Even today, while flipping over a restaurant’s menu, our hand automatically reaches out to the bowl of pickled onions and before we realise, we are chomping on these sour delights. And, the best part is that there will be refills when you are done with a bowl. The process of making this pickled onion at home is remarkably very easy. You just need a few ingredients like onion, salt, sugar, water and vinegar and that’s it, you are ready for your sirke wali pyaz. And, to do away with the strong smell of onion and vinegar, you can also cook it for a little time. Follow the step-by-step guide below and make your own DIY sirke wali pyaz at home.
- 20-30 pearl onions or shallots (peeled and cut in desired size)
- 1 cup water
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cider or any other light coloured vinegar
- 2 pinches of salt; sugar (as per taste)
- Spices, if you wish (like black pepper, bay leaf and cinnamon)
- Slice and peel the onions completely and place them in a non-reactive jar or a bowl.
- Now, take a pan, add one cup water and your spices in it. Simmer them for a while.
- Add salt and sugar (as per taste) to water and mix them well. Add vinegar.
- Now, pour the liquid over onions in the jar/bowl. Make sure the onions are covered properly and the liquid comes up half an inch above the level of the onions.
- The longer they soak, the deeper the colour of the liquid gets.
- Marinate onions for 3 to 5 hours. And, your picked onions are ready to be savoured.
It is important to know that the onions can only be kept in the refrigerator for 2 days after they have been drained.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-5 hours
Shelf Live: 2 days
So, now you have the easiest recipe of your favourite pickled onions. Make your own sirke wali pyaz at home without having to wait for your food delivery boy to get you its extra packets.