Indian food is rich in flavours. There is no denying the fact that it is prepared using a mélange of spices. There are a plethora of Indian dishes that have rich gravies and distinct taste. One such delicacy is Banarasi dum aloo. If you happen to be a potato lover, then this article is apt for you. This delicious main course dish is usually served with kachorior urad dal puri. Prepared in rich gravy of tomatoes, cashews and a variety of spices, these stuffed potatoes are then garnished with fresh cream and coriander. There are many variations of dum aloo which vary from region to region.
To name some are Punjabi dum aloo, dum aloo Lakhnavi, and Kashmiri dum aloo. However, what makes Banarasi dum aloo different from the others is the kind of stuffing that is used in the making of this delight. Many people confuse Banarasi dum aloo with Kashmiri dum aloo, however, they vary a lot in terms of taste and preparation both. Kashmiri dum aloo is made from fried baby potatoes and the gravy and taste of it is different from that of Banarasi dum aloo. It is an extremely spicy dish and has a very distinct flavour. Apart from oil and yogurt, Kashmiri dum aloo gravy includes Kashmiri red chilli powder which gives it an electrifying colour. If you wish to make this flavourful dish at home, then we’ve certainly got your back. Here’s how you can make Banarasi dum aloo in the comforts of your kitchen.
Ingredients For Filling
- Cottage cheese – 100gms
- Khoya – 50gms
- Broken cashew nuts – 1 tbsp
- Powdered mace – 1/2tsp
- Chopped raisins – 1 tbsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Chopped green chillies – 1tsp
- Chopped ginger – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
How To Stuff The Potatoes:
- Parboil the potatoes, slice off the top and scoop out the inner part.
- Peel roughly and grill till golden on all sides in a coal stove on low heat.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned in the filling list together.
- Stuff the potatoes with the filling and press in tightly with fingers and keep aside.
Ingredients For Gravy:
- Chopped onions – 1 large
- Tomato puree – 1 large cup
- Beaten curd – 3/4cup
- Crushed ginger garlic – 1 tsp
- Cashew paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Fresh cream – 1 cup
How To Make Gravy:
- Heat oil and fry the onions till brown.
- Add ginger garlic, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, salt and fry well.
- Pour in the cashew paste, fry well for a minute.
- Pour in the beaten curd and cook well till raw smell goes and the gravy thickens to a paste.
- Pour in the tomato puree and continue cooking till raw flavour goes, about 15 minutes.
- Pour some of the fresh cream and mix in, simmer for a minute and your gravy is ready.
- Arrange the potatoes in a bowl and pour in the gravy on top.
- Place a small piece of burning coal and close for a minute to give smoky flavour.
- Dress with fresh cream, garnish with coriander leaves.
Your delicious Banarasi dum aloo is ready. Serve it hot with roti or kachori. Here is a video link for you on how to make a brilliant Banarasi dum aloo.