It makes for the best salad dressing, an excellent sandwich spread and all things good, mayonnaise has always been a great companion for dinner parties and also for times when we’re struck with sudden hunger. A dollop of creamy mayonnaise can transform a boring snack into something exciting. Before it became popular as an essential fast food ingredient, this creamy condiment was used as a dip in Spain and then its popularity slowly spread across France and other countries. It is believed that ‘Mayonnaise’ got its name from the French word ‘Moyeu’ which means egg yolk.
Mayonnaise can be used in many ways because of its versatility and taste. You can use it in rolls, tacos, sandwiches and hot dogs, it is an all-purpose condiment. The good part is that while the traditional recipe requires egg yolks, you can even make mayonnaise without eggs that is completely vegetarian but as delicious. Eggless mayonnaise can be easily prepared at home. So, if you’re going to try your hand at making it, keep these tips handy. We also have a great recipe of eggless mayonnaise that you can try for your next dinner party.
Tips to make vegetarian (eggless) mayonnaise
Culinary Expert and Food Blogger Chef Reetu Uday Kugaji suggests some important and noteworthy tips to make the perfect eggless mayonnaise at home.
- You can replace the cream with very chilled or semi-frozen soy milk for a vegan version.
- You can replace cream with milk powder too.
- You can replace lemon juice with white vinegar.
- Ensure that the glass bowl in which you mix of the mayonnaise ingredients is moisture-free or else it wouldn’t form an emulsion.
- You can add 1/4th teaspoon of granulated sugar while preparing the eggless mayonnaise to give it a nice and sweet flavour.
- You can even add organic honey instead of sugar.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cayenne pepper powder for an extra flavour boost.
- You can use canola oil instead of extra virgin olive oil which has a more neutral taste.
- You can use a stick blender instead of whisking the mayonnaise but remember that the oil has to be added in a slow stream.
Here’s a recipe of eggless mayonnaise shared by Chef Reetu.
Vegetarian Eggless Mayonnaise
Preparation Time: 7 to 10 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
- Cream, fresh and Chilled- 1/4th cup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- 3/4th Cup
- Dijon Mustard Paste- 1/4th tsp.
- Lemon Juice- Half tsp.
- Black Pepper Powder- 1/4th tsp.
- Salt- to taste
1. In a dry glass bowl, whisk cream, mustard paste, lemon juice, black pepper powder and salt.
2. Add oil drop by drop ensuring that all the oil gets incorporated in the cream. Mix well.
3. You may use it as a dip, dressing for a salad or as a spread for sandwich.
This easy recipe and the perfect blend of flavours will definitely not disappoint you. You must try it.